Our dogs are our best friends and it seems like we learn something new about them each day. Here’s a list of weird, strange and awesome dog facts. Read through to learn something you may not have known about your dog!
1. Boxers were named after their habit of playing. At the beginning of play with another dog, a Boxer will stand on his hind legs and ‘box’ at his opponent.
2. Portuguese Water Dogs have toes that are webbed with a soft membrane covered with hair. This is from years and years of being breed as hunting water retrieval dogs. This must mean Bo the First Dog is a fantastic swimmer!
3. The Norwegian Lundehund is the only dog with 6 toes (that help them climb). They also have been bred for extra joints in their neck and flexible shoulder joints so they can turn their head at a 180 degree angle.
4. In Italy
, a doggy disco is held every year where owners can dance with their dogs. Do you and your pup ever boogie?
5. It is a myth that dogs are color blind
. They can actually see in color, just not as vividly as humans. They are able to see yellow, blues and grays but not reds. Oddly enough, many dog toys out there are red.
6. Jack Russell Terriers
were used in the blood sport of rat baiting. In rat baiting, as many as 100 rats were put into a ring, or a rat pit, and wagers were made on whose dog could kill the most rats within a minute.
7. The tip of a beagle
’s tail must be white or he is not considered a true beagle. The white tip or flag has been selectively bred into the dog to make the beagle visible when his nose is to the ground. His tail sticks straight up when he is actively following a scent.
9. A German Shepherd
guide dog led her blind companion 2100 mi. on the Appalachian Trail.
10. Dachshunds were originally bred for fighting badgers. Can you imagine this cute little guy inflicting harm on anyone?
Know some trivia that we may have missed? Send it over to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Forget the kennel! Board your dog in a real home with DogVacay.com. Search trusted and insured pet sitters near you starting at $15/night.