If walking your dog should be a pleasant, harmless experience, why do so many dogs come home with neck injuries and owners in pain? Larz Pet Gear seeks to answer that question by providing revolutionary leashes, collars, and harnesses that will increase comfort for your pooch and control for you. With their custom made dog products that will accommodate your pup’s size, weight, and strength, Larz Pet Gear will help prevent Fido from getting hurt during his daily walk while simultaneously preventing you from feeling discomfort and pain from tugging on his leash. To learn more about why their products are worth the price for your dog (after all, he is your best friend), read what the founders have to say.
What was the inspiration behind creating Larz Pet Gear?
Several years ago our designer, Craig Larsen, was asked to take care of a friend’s little schnauzer, Robbie, while she was on vacation. One of his responsibilities was to walk the dog on a leash. Craig grew up with dogs in a suburban environment, during that time before leash laws when dogs were allowed to simply run free. This was the first time he had ever walked a dog on leash. Well, Robbie was an extremely energetic dog who pulled relentlessly against his leash and collar, to the point of coughing and choking. Craig could see that this was causing Robbie harm and a great deal of discomfort and he knew that should this continue, it would result in injury to the dog’s neck, throat, and spine. Craig was also very aware of the strain Robbie’s pulling was causing to his own hand, arm, shoulder and spine. All in all, what should have been a fun experience together was very unpleasant for both of them.
Craig knew that, like himself, most dog owners see their dogs as family members and don’t want to cause them pain or injury. However, when he looked for leashes, collars, and harnesses that didn’t cause pain when a dog pulled, he could not find any satisfactory choices. In fact, he noticed that products that were developed specifically for training, such as pinch and choke collars, were actually designed to cause pain.
Craig decided to tackle the problem himself. He is a certified emergency medical technician and an impact injury specialist . He knew what prevented pain and impact injury in the human world and that he needed to apply that knowledge to a system of leashes, collars, and harnesses that also enhanced control and training efforts. He succeeded. The Larz Pet Gear line is a result of his efforts.
What products does Larz Pet Gear offer and how do they work?
We offer leashes (single to up to 8 dogs), collars, harnesses, and hands-free systems.
How they work:
- Leashes (one-handed single, tandem, triple, & quad, can accommodate up to 8 on hands-free belt). Incorporated into our leashes is a length of shock-absorbing flex cord sized for the weight and strength of the dog. As a result, our leads provide shock-absorbing resistance to pulling.
- They absorb the energy of the pull, preventing the snap-back action created by solid leads.
- The tensile action of the flex cord actually pulls the dog back towards the walker. This pull-back action every time the dog pulls acts as a consistent command or signal to stop pulling. The happy result is healthy, injury and pain-free control and effective training.
- Collars. Collars are fully padded for comfort.
- They are wide, keeping the head up and spreading the energy of the pull across a broad area, preventing concentration on the vulnerable esophagus or thorax.
- Martingale style closures allow for a minimal squeeze when dog pulls, but stops before it reaches a choking point.
- Harnesses. Harnesses are fully padded for comfort.
- Does not fit under the front armpits and will not cause underarm hair-loss, rashes, or friction burns.
- A stiffened chest piece focuses runs up the dog’s sternum, focusing the pressure of the pull on sternum (a dog’s strongest body part), shifting his/her weight back to the rear legs, and immediately stopping forward momentum.
- The hands-free system is fully padded and has a wide belt for comfort. Perfect for jogging, running, and hiking with dogs, it features a sliding front snap to allow the dog to run back and forth without yanking the walker with him/her.
- Multiple attachment sites allows the walker to configure up to eight dogs of multiple sizes and strengths in any way that makes sense for all of them. Perfect for dog walkers!
- For use with up to eight shock absorbing leashes.
What are the health benefits of your products for dogs?
We created our line to promote both dog and human health.
For the dog:
- There is no snap back at the end of the leash, no choking, strangling, coughing, pinching, jerking, rubbing under the armpits, nose irritation, or ocular region pressure
- There is avoidance of injury or chronic pain caused by standard products
For the walker:
- Enhanced control
- Effective training
- Relief of strain against hand, wrist, arm, shoulder, neck, and spine
- Comfortable, happy, fun walks together
- More and longer walks, more exercise, and all of the benefits associated with exercise
What makes your products different from similar ones on the market?
- Sizing. Dogs come in all different sizes and weights. Larz is the only line with 9 sizes (size refers to the strength of the shock-absorbing flex section) to fit the needs of all dogs – from tiny tea-cups to huge mastiffs. We provide a system that allows any walker, no matter their size and strength, to walk any dog, no matter the dog’s size and strength. Ours is a line of graduated control, with average control offered by the leash alone and moving up through leash and collar, leash and harness, and finally to our maximum, super-control combination, the leash, harness, and collar.
- Versatility. Our standard leash can easily be shortened to a heeler length leash. The leash can be used as a tie-out and as a seat belt attachment. All of our multiple leash products can be split into singles and other multiples. For instance, our triple leash can be split into 3 single leashes or into a single and a tandem.
Probably more than any other activity on earth, our dogs love to go on walks with their human family members. It is a time for them to explore the great outside world, smell all of the smells, hear all of the sounds, and be with the person they love the most. When pain and discomfort, sometimes even anger, are added to that experience, it is confusing and frustrating to the dog. After all, we bred them for centuries to be working dogs, to thoroughly explore and respond to what they sense in the environment. Now, instead of responding to their instincts, we want them to resist them and walk placidly next to us. This is a mighty, sometimes impossible, task for most dogs.
Dog owners, on the other hand, often dread taking the dog for a walk. Walking the dog can be an uncomfortable, even physically painful, and a terribly frustrating war of will. But it must be done and, because there is nothing else available, we use dog restraint and training products that we know cause pain and injury to our beloved dogs.
Larz Pet Gear offers the solution: Products that don’t harm dogs, but provide great control and effective training and products that relieve the strain on the walker’s body when the dog pulls. With Larz, anyone can comfortably and easily walk and train any dog – and have fun while they are doing it!
To learn more about their products, click here.