When it comes to pet travel, nutrition will be one of the first things which will pop in to your mind of things to organize for your pet. Traditional dog boarding options can seem impersonal, where pets may be fed generic dog food on a routine schedule, but not anymore; with DogVacay you can rest assured that your dog is going to a real home with real pet owners who understand how important nutrition is for both you and your dog. It is important when changing your pets environment to try and keep some familiarity. By bringing along your dogs favorite kibble, you can rest assured that not only are they are receiving exactly the same diet as they would at home but you also helping to reduce the risk of anxiety which may be caused by unusual circumstances.
- Some dogs are territorial over food. If your pet or guest are territorial, please make sure to feed the dogs in separate areas or at different times to reduce negative behavioral problems such as growling or biting.
- While treats are a great way to feed your dog, please remember they are also high in calories. It is important to adjust your pets diet and exercise routines to reflect their calorie intake, much like a human, to prevent obesity and medical health risks.
- Always read the small print on foods you usually buy and pay attention to how much food you give your dogs in regards to their weight and breed – you might be under or over feeding your pet without realizing, so check today.
To help further settle your dog in a new environment, why not encourage a conversation about nutrition with your hosts? After all, they want to know how best to make your dog as comfortable in their home as possible. By discussing, or providing, what brand of food you usually purchase, how often and at what time you usually feed your dog and if there are any additional nutritional requirements such as medicine, supplements or feeding patterns; you can help your host provide the same level of care as you would at home and know that their nutritional requirements are being met.
Consider these other fun ways you can incorporate nutrition into your DogVacay.
- Why not add a few extra of your pets favorite healthy snacks to remind him of home?
- Or discuss what treats their pets may enjoy and bring some along for your dog to share?
- Bring some extra healthy treats to share with your hosts.
However you decide to feed your pet when you are away, you can rest assured they will receive the same love and nutrition as you would provide at home.
By Clurra Donald
Find a real home for your dog to stay, while you are away. Dog Vacay offers a variety of professional pet sitters in your area. Browse Dog Vacay for a loving pet sitter or call 1-888-861-DOGS.